Saturday, February 4, 2012

Lukewarm cold, wet and rainy

St. Louis, rather than being in a wintry state of puffy white, is in a state of lukewarmish cold, wet, and rainy.  The family had scheduled our winter sport day for this day originally (Hey....I have some new ski boots on some new bindings connected to my awesomely classic Olin skis that need broken in, man!), however, St. Louis weather has foiled that plan.

I got groceries instead, and I mean GROCERIES!!!!

My mother took pity on our situation of being poor new homeowners with an ever flooding basement, as of late, and offered to help.  Rather than ask for money, however, I asked for food.  Fill my pantries, please, so we can eat well without going out.  And she did.  I had a rather pleasant morning with her at the Scott AFB Commissary stocking up my kitchen with fruits. veggies, and most of all......more meat than I've EVER seen in my fridge since moving out of my parents' house.  Commissary meat is a steal, folks.  Local cuts prepped right there, and you don't even have to pay tax on any of it.  Being an Army Wife does have it benefits. ahem.  Sausage.  haha.  The last time I had made that trip was when I was a little College freshie, moving into her very first off campus apartment in Edwardsville, and still under the status of Air Force Brat.  Going back as a full fledged adult was a bit surreal, but this time I'm learning how to navigate the ropes so I can do it independently later.  Hey, though.....I have a full fridge and freezer.

I feel Domestically Complete (for now).

Rain.....  Sleepy.....

All I want to do is curl up in bed right now.  Even though I have a huge chuck eye thawing for dinner, I want someone else to cook it so I can lay in bed with the cat and pretend I don't have horrible circulation and constantly cold feet.  I want to stay in all night and read a book and forget that last night the hubbie and I had an impromptu McGurk's night after our dinner with Father J and a few other beautiful young couples from our Parish.  I want to forget the six separate (but small) glasses of red wine and two glasses of grappa followed up by two pub pints of Magners later.  Tonight was a planned O'Malley's night where we're to help a newly single friend get his groove back and talking to the ladies again.  However.....bed is so warm, and my husband is heading out tomorrow for two weeks of military duty far away from here.

And my cat actually curled up with me.  Who says cats aren't affectionate?  (Or maybe I have a dog in a cat's body...)

No comments: