Saturday, September 18, 2010

Writing of Portaits in a Pub Portrait Gallery

Dressel's is by far my most favorite pub in Saint Louis. And that's a close call, considering my love of Tigin's.

Here I am, trying to focus on a paper: a comparative analysis of John Singlton Copley's two portraits of Eunice and Thaddius Burr which hang in the Portrait Gallery of the Saint Louis Art Museum with that of the Freake portraits painted nearly a century earlier. And I'm sitting in a Welsh pub in the Central West End, filled, to the interior brim, with portraits; drawing and prints of faces artistically rendered in graphite and charcoal and ink on the white page.  Around the central U-shaped bar, the upper shelf if lined with its own set of sculpture busts of famous thinker.  This is a thinking man's pub, for the thinking man (or woman) who appreciates such artistic renderin, Strongbow apple cider, and traditional welsh fare. My favorite: the Goat Cheese Menagerie, served with shallots, garlic, peppers, and green, meant to be spread on toast.....but there is Shepard's Pie and a daily stew special here daily too.  The food is rich and succulent and it is as capable to get drunk off of it as it is the amazing beer.

I feel enlightened here. I feel smart here. And I feel tapped into my favorite subject matter as an artist as well: the Portrait.

***btw, Should you ever partake of the amazing Goat cheese appetizer, make sure you place yourself very firmly away from human contact for the next 12 hours, as a meal made of goat cheese, garlic and shallots is sure to raise quite a stink.

No comments: